Marques in the Park
19th November 2006
here for More Photos
and a Video of Marques in the Park 2006
Run Report for Marques in the Park
19th of November 2006
We gathered at the footsal stadium near Commonwealth Ave bridge at about 8.30am. Us and about 150 other cars.
Minis, FC Holdens, Mustangs, Cobras, they were all there cleaned and polished and looking great. After getting our vehicle numbers from the organisers, we set off in convoy at about 9.00am, heading along Commonwealth Ave, through the City and up Belconnen Way.
Most cars stuck together on the way to the show, all except the blokes driving the Cobras. I think they had at least one car in everyone’s group.
The weather was fantastic. Overcast but quite warm. It was the type of day that was easily coped with without putting up the shade.
We parked in the usual spot amongst the trees at John Night Park. 11 Torries in all made it to the event. They looked really good lined up, a credit to their owners.
We took it in shifts to have a look around the place, which was a good way to go. It meant there was always someone from the club around the cars to keep an eye on them and to answer any questions people might have regarding any the cars.
All in all I would guess there was about 500 cars present. Every conceivable make was represented. A real feast for the eyes.
It was a large show, probably the biggest other than wheels expo.
The BBQ lunch was very enjoyable (thanks to those who chipped in on the cooking). The steaks and snags from Calwell Butchery were fantastic. Vic does a great deal on the meat he supplies, so if you are passing Calwell shops and you need to pick up some meat, call in and see Vic. I am sure he will look after you.
Craig took the opportunity of raffling off a few of the new Stubby Holders at the run. I must say they look great. Well done Craig. Numbers 1, 5 and 28 were raffled. Maree, Trevor and Craig took out the Prizes to the jeers of Rigged, Rigged, Rigged.(lol) All I can say is “You gotta be in it to win it”.
I noticed that Dean’s car has had a modification done to it since I last saw it. A set of Bag Pipes hanging off the rear vision mirror. Nice touch dude! Himself and his cousin Mark from Scotland departed the gathering to the sounds of “The northern lights of old Aberdeen!. (lol)
Phil as per usual was busy snapping the photos. As you can see above he did a great Job.
Thanks to Jan for doing the shopping and making the Salads. They were well appreciated.
Thank you also to Marisa for towing the club trailer.
Well, a great day was had by all. It was a good opportunity to catch up with everyone and see all the latest cars around Canberra in the one spot. Thanks to the council for putting on a great event.
• “Top Day! Around 600 cars! A great turnout and well organised by the council”
• “A good show up. Good weather, great BBQ cooked by a great chef. Always look forward to this one! “ mmmmm…I don’t know about That…
• “A great show - something for all tastes. Second only to the Shannon’s wheels expo”
• “All good. Need more driving”
• “Heaps turned up, also good club gathering. Nice warm day and Catered well as per usual.”
• “Another great run. Very tasty food! Suggest putting up sun shades for added protection. Trees seem to wearing thin as the years go on.”
• “ Good show, big turnout and nice and weather.”
• “ Good variety of different cars at the show. Good to see more and more cars coming along each year.”
• “Good turnout lots of cars to look at. A hot day.”
• A most enjoyable picnic atmosphere. Plenty of shade and a nice cool breeze. The BBQ was superb, the meat nice and tender and Jans salad most sought after. Top Day!”
© Copyright 2006 Canberra Torana Club Inc.